Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Mark 8:22–26

Mark 8:22–26 (ESV): Jesus Heals a Blind Man at Bethsaida

Passage

I don’t have much to say about this passage because it’s so similar in nature to 7:31–37; in that passage Jesus healed a deaf man and in this passage he heals a blind man, but the circumstances are very similar:
  • He brings both men to a more isolated place to perform the healing
  • In both cases Jesus has to do something, rather than just saying “be healed” and having the men be healed
  • In both cases Jesus tells the men to keep it to themselves, though they may or may not have the same reaction. (In the 7:31–37 passage the people don’t follow Jesus’ direction, but we’re not told here whether they do or don’t. For the sake of giving them the benefit of the doubt, I’ll go ahead and assume that they listen to him and do what he says…)

Thoughts

As mentioned above, I don’t have anything interesting to add that I wouldn’t already have said for the 7:31–37 passage. Except that I smile whenever I read verse 24 (ESV); Jesus asks the man if he sees anything, and the man says, “I see people, but they look like trees, walking.”

No comments: