SynopsisIn this passage, Moses recounts to the Israelites all of the blessings that they will receive from the LORD, if they just follow His commands. As he says:
If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God:And those blessings are as follows:
- God won’t just bless the city dwellers or the country folk, He’ll bless all of the Israelites
- They will be blessed with children, crops, and livestock
- Verse 5 says, “Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed,” but I’m not quite sure what this means. Possibly another way of saying that their crops will be blessed?
- Verse 6 is a nice general one: “You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out.”
- The Israelites will defeat their enemies. I like verse 7b: “They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven.”
- Another general blessing is promised in verse 8: God will bless everything the Israelites put their hands to.
The LORD will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the LORD your God and walk in his ways. Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they will fear you. The LORD will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your forefathers to give you.
The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom. Do not turn aside from any of the commands I give you today, to the right or to the left, following other gods and serving them.