SynopsisIn this chapter numerous laws are passed down about types of sexual relations the Israelites were to avoid. The chapter starts out with an overall reason, as to why God is handing down these regulations:
The LORD said to Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the LORD your God. You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the LORD your God. Keep my decrees and laws, for the man who obeys them will live by them. I am the LORD.’” (verses 1–5)Before we even get into the rules, notice the reason that God is handing down these commandments: because He is the LORD. Three times in this passage, God says so. (See the Thoughts section, below.)
- Any close relative
- Again, God says why: “No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the LORD” (verse 6, emphasis added).
- His mother
- His father’s wife (meaning his step-mother, since his birth-mother was already forbidden above)
- His sister, or his half sister
- His grandchild
- His step-sister
- An aunt—a sister of either his father or mother
- An uncle’s wife—she is still considered an aunt
- His daughter-in-law
- His brother’s wife
- Both a woman and her daughter, or a woman and her granddaughter
- Verse 17 says that doing so would be “wickedness.”
- Both a woman and her sister.
- This one is actually concerning marriage; a man was not to take his wife’s sister as a “rival wife,” and have sexual relations with her, while his wife was still living. (verse 18)
- Any woman during her period
- His neighbour’s wife—this means any woman married to another man, not just the woman living next door.
- Another man (homosexual sex)
- Verse 22 says that this would be “detestable.”
- An animal
- Verse 23 says that this would be a “perversion.”
- The Israelites were not to sacrifice their children (or “pass their children through the fire,” which, some commentators state, may not be talking about child sacrifice, but some type of dedication ceremony instead) to the god Molech, for this would profane God’s name
Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the aliens living among you must not do any of these detestable things, for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.
Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the LORD your God.