Saturday, January 24, 2009

General Blog Update

It feels weird to be even putting up this post; this blog is really just intended for my own use, for my own devotions, rather than being a public thing. However, there are people who come here—even a few who “follow” the blog, according to Blogger—so I guess I’ll go ahead and put this post up.

Obviously I haven’t been posting that much lately. As mentioned earlier, my daily situation has changed, making it harder to post every day. However, I will continue to work my way through the Bible, and if it takes me fifteen years instead of five, then so be it. (Then again, if the Lord takes me before then, I’ll be happier in His presence than I would be blogging anyway, so it’s win-win.)

I am instituting a change to the way that I work my way through the Bible, however. Actually, two changes.

First, I’m not going to go straight through, Genesis–Revelation. Instead, I’m going to follow a reading plan suggested in the New Student Bible (which was my Bible of choice for many years). This plan alternates between the Old Testament and the New Testament. I’ve put up a spreadsheet here which shows my progress. This means that I’ll be in the New Testament for quite a while, as I get caught up to my schedule, but it will help me to alternate between the Old and New Testaments.

The second change is that I’m going to start using the English Standard Version (ESV) of the Bible for some of my quotations, going forward. To this point, I’ve used the New International Version (NIV) almost exclusively, although in my personal readings, I’ve started reading from the ESV version instead. What I will likely do is use the ESV for my New Testament posts, and continue using the NIV for my Old Testament posts. There’s no rhyme or reason for my decision to split it up that way, it’s just the way I am doing it for now. That being said, I’ll also start indicating which version I’m quoting from; in the past, if I didn’t say, it was just assumed that I was quoting from NIV, but going forward, whether I’m quoting from NIV, ESV, or something else, I’ll always indicate so.

No comments: